Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Focus on Flashing

 We've been planning this awhile, so a mistake this early on was a bit hard to take, but will serve as a learning experience.  Here we flashed the underside of our frame and flipped it back onto the trailer bed, only to realize, we didn't flash far enough.  Only part of the cedar section is the porch and the other portion needs water and rodent protection from the underside, as it's part of the home.  We carefully propped it up and worked in the flashing under the missed portion.  The plans called for staples but we mostly used nails.  MEAN GREEN is our adhesive of choice.  It has (practically) no VOC's or odor, however after 4 hours of working with it, even outdoors, it had a slight effect on this Canary.  Most adhesives would be impossible for a person with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity like me to be around, so I would still argue it's the best adhesive we could find after lots of looking,  and it works in many applications.  To avoid disappointment, the supplier informed us it's not actually green in color anymore, but tan:)





5 comments:

  1. wow! thanks so much for sharing about that Mean Green product. It looks really promising and it's helpful to know how you reacted to it :-)

    you may have mentioned it in another post and I missed it but I was wondering if that's aluminum or steel flashing? (maybe naive question :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liberty, The packaging reads: Roll Flashing, "Professional Choice" Aluminum. As I see you, too, are a canary, I will tell you, this flashing is coated with a thin layer of oil, probably used to lube it through the machine that produces it. It's kinda nasty.
    Thanks for commenting! A big part of why I'm blogging is to help people find safer products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checked out your Blog. Very Cool! Keep posting I am not a subscriber.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, thank you SO much for this information. At the end of this Blog (August) I wrote asking if you'd list the materials, but I can see by reading the blog from the start, I can make a list. Thank you so much! I hope this works for you, as it gives ME hope also!

    ReplyDelete