Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Visitors


We do not have any visitors. No one is uncontaminated.  I have placed 'Do Not Disturb' signs on my doors, with the explanation of an occupant with MCS.  When my husband and I return home, we remove contaminated clothing and shower.
 I was thinking about what it would take for someone to visit my home or if I was even to meet them outdoors somewhere, what requests I would have to make to make it not an unhealthy experience for me. It seems I am always compromised in some way but it's difficult to imagine a scenario in which I wouldn't be.
A person who wants to be an active presence in a Canary's life really needs to be educated and willing to do things differently. Even if, on the day of the visit, they:
-showered using only an organic soap (like allafia african black soap) or plain old baking soda on the body and hair
-decontaminated their clothing by washing it in baking soda or milk
(probably more than once since the laundry products on the market are designed to have scents that really cling)
-didn't use any products like scented deoderant, hair gel, lotion or make-up
if their home, yard, car, or anyplace they stop on the way over are contaminated, they will be, too.
So if you want a tour of my tiny house, it'll be the blog version.  It is designed to be a safeplace.

I am beyond grateful for my husband, who I just can't scare off, thank goodness.
I wonder if anyone else will be willing or able to have an uncontaminating, healthy visit with me. Usually excluding, (or contaminating)  me seem suitable solutions to most.  But people who come in contact with my husband lack the awareness that his scent (transferred from them) affects me.

I still work. It's really difficult and I don't feel like I ever detoxify. The time I am not at work, I am not willing to be exposed to toxic contaminants that will make me sicker, short, mid, and long term.

I still feel sad by this but don't have much hope anyone can accomodate me, so I am trying to accept that, for now.

3 comments:

  1. Just an idea while reading your post. How about, once you're settled in, building a tiny outdoor shower cabin, with cubbies for people's clothes on one side where they come in, the shower in the middle, and unscented towels and robes/something comfortable to wear on the other side along with slippers. It's the same idea as the one used by hazmat teams, and anyone who really wants to visit you will just have to deal with showering before-hand. Just make sure the experience is a joy by making the little shower room a cozy place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. It puts a smile on my face!! We look forward to an outdoor shower ourselves, so, heck, why not? Thanks Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad my idea made you smile. :)

    ReplyDelete